What is the Standard Three-Month Program?
Our three month program is a straightforward, research-based approach that brings the enjoyment and excitement back into your relationship.
Based on the cutting-edge work of Dr. John Gottman, our program provides you with scientifically-grounded skills and insights to improve communication, intimacy, satisfaction, and joy. Though we're not legally allowed to guarantee our program, our program is the only one of it's kind able to publish outcome results. Featured in the peer-reviewed Journal of Marriage and Family Therapy in 2017, we demonstrated that gay and lesbian couples improve almost three times more than traditional couples therapy. Couples who had depression, addiction, or other mental health issues improved unbelievably well compared to other treatments available today.
In our three-month relationship program, you'll...
- Quickly and effectively identify your relationship goals with our comprehensive assessment tools (this alone cuts through about eight sessions of regular therapy!).
- Rekindle the spark of romance and spontaneity in your relationship.
- Feel more understood in your relationship-and understand your partner better!
- Receive written feedback so that you can implement what you're learning in sessions in your everyday life-which means more progress, faster.
- Gain exclusive access to 64 different tools to help your relationship, including 14 tools to bring the excitement back to your relationship and 37 powerful tools to resolve disagreements.
- Learn strategies for dealing with all kinds of relationship issues, including personality differences, addictions, affairs, open relationships, and parenting, just to name a few.
- Get a full-service therapeutic experience, including online scheduling, email reminders, hands-off billing, and more-so that you can focus on what matters most: your relationship.
What is the Intensive 2.5 Day Program?
This option is for couples that seek immediate and concentrated help, or for those traveling from outside our area. In this format, you and your partner..
1. Complete our entire assessment ahead of time. This prevents your time from being wasted once you arrive.
2. Complete at least one phone consultation with your clinician in order to develop goals ahead of time. Clear goals allow you both to approach the weekend intensive with realistic expectations, and reduce worry about the counseling.
3. Engage one another in new ways during 14+ hours of concentrated work. Couples are finally able to set aside life's distractions and talk about what really matters. Best of all, they finally feel like they're making progress with the new conversations they're having.
4. Receive a hard copy of all the tools you've learned, as well as those you will probably need moving forward.
5. Schedule for follow up web or phone appointments with your clinician with a plan to strengthen the new foundation you've acquired over one weekend with us.
Best of all, this is our most cost-effective option, costing approximately $90/hour if you utilize the full weekend.
Why three months? What makes this different?
Of the hundreds of couples that we've seen, the couples who have had the best measured improvement in relationship satisfaction have all done at least nine to eleven sessions of counseling using our method. About 50% stay longer than nine sessions; less than 5% feel the need to stay longer than a year. Thus, we created this three-month program to allow you to meet as often as you like over that time.
Why might this be the case? This approach is different than "traditional" couples therapy, which reviews your childhood upbringing, relationships with your parents, and psychological disorders. Research has shown that these approaches are not important for couples therapy, though they work well for one-on-one individual therapy.
Each session teaches the two of you a specific skill catered to your relationship dynamics. We show you how to argue productively. If you're bickering too much, we show you how to work on your friendship again. This approach teaches tools, and provides homework, much like personal training at the gym. At the end of every session we will ask each of you, "What's one thing you learned today that you could implement throughout the coming week?" This leaves you feeling successful, and often makes couples therapy feel fun (believe it or not!).
What is it like for a couple to go through the Program?
Their experience typically progresses just like this: They arrive first session in a bad emotional space, wanting help. They expect that the session might go poorly, but are pleasantly surprised at the sophistication of the method, and the logical nature in which it flows. They also spend some time remembering the good times; something they did not expect to do that first session. They leave the first session happy that they have a professional who is putting a plan together.
They then complete the online assessment and individual interviews, which cuts through about eight sessions of your average counseling treatment. They discuss their written results with the counselor, attending to any inaccuracies, and then everyone gives input on possible directions for the therapy.
The next several sessions involve important work on their differences, and learning strategies to make these areas better. They start to notice that fun creeps back in to the relationship, and when conflict happens at home, it is shorter, and less intense.
They then use several more sessions refining what they've learned until it becomes more fluid at home. By this point, they've seen a significant improvement in their relationship satisfaction levels, and this has also been captured on their post-treatment assessment.
They then go on to do more work on the relationship, or move on with a commitment to use the tools they've learned to the best of their ability.
How much does it cost?
This is a decision between you and your relationship coach, honestly. The cost ranges from $126 to $260 per session, which are 60 to 90 minutes in length. The pricing is designed for you to maximize your time in the office, not penalize you for staying longer.
You can elect to pay-per-session (the most expensive option), or pay monthly installments toward the three-month program, or simply purchase the program up front (the most cost effective solution).
Also, the price goes down after three months. Why? Because by this juncture your relationship is in a better place, requiring less work on our part. The goals evolve to simply keep you on a successful track now that you've done the work to get there. We have numerous payment methods that affect the pricing. There is no sliding scale, but we find that 95% of couples who approach us are able to afford the program.
How long are the sessions?
They are 60 to 90 minutes long. Fatigue can start to set in when sessions are much longer. If you'd like to condense the work and accomplish more over a shorter time period, we suggest that you ask about our 2.5 Day Intensive Program. If you'd like to space the sessions out over a longer period of time, we have a longer-duration program for that, too. It is all designed to be catered to your specific needs. No two relationships are alike.
Can I use insurance?
We take care of all the insurance billing if possible. It's one less thing for you to worry about. Just call 877-424-1221 so that we can ask some questions about your insurance, and we can easily tell you how best to use your plan.
Who will we work with?
Our clients see the best results when they work with several professionals. This is truly a group practice; no one clinician can know everything about all possible mental health issues. Thus, we've hired experts in sex, dating, conflict management, affairs and breaks in trust, parenting, etc. Over the three month program you can meet with us on an unlimited basis, usually weekly. You'll probably want to switch back and forth between some of our staff to get different perspectives. We're all up to date on your progress all the time, so you'll never actually start all over when you switch.
Salvatore Garanzini, MFT, our chief clinician and co-founder, personally speaks with all couples to determine the right person for each situation.
Where are your clinics located?
We have offices in San Francisco Downtown and the Mission. We also have locations in San Diego, and Manhattan / New York City. Just click here for addresses.
Do you offer sessions by Skype or telephone?
Yes! This is often a great way to make this work accessible. It feels exactly like being in our live office. We use HIPPA-compliant software to protect your privacy. Sometimes it is easier for couples to be more 'real' when they're in their home environment. This can be quite useful for the clinician to see. Please contact us for more information.
Don't see your question here?
Contact us at 877-424-1221, or send your question here.